Inside 'Got Milk?' and Its Dark Comedy of Deprivation
This week on Tagline, we serve up an ice-cold glass of nostalgia as we look back at the making of the culture-busting "Got Milk?" campaign from Goodby Silverstein & Partners. It's the story of a powerful insight, darkly comic creative, a lightning rod of a tagline, and a client who loved partnerships and parodies and gave the world's blandest product advertising's hottest campaign.
Listen to episode 5 of Tagline above, or subscribe to the show wherever you get your podcasts. And below, check out the original "Aaron Burr" spot along with a load of other "Got Milk?" ads through the years.
Every day, millions of Americans get in their vehicles and go. Fueling drives commutes, commerce and connection; and that's when we have the undivided attention of 1 in 3 adults every month. GSTV's national video network owns a unique moment for innovative storytelling, when consumers are engaged, receptive, taking action today and influenced for tomorrow and beyond. Fuel your next campaign with us.
Episode 5 guests:
• Jeff Goodby, co-chairman and partner, Goodby Silverstein & Partners
• Jeff Manning, former executive director, California Milk Processor Board
• Jon Steel, founder, Jon Steel Consulting
• Scott Z. Burns, filmmaker
• Cindy Epps, senior integrated producer and consultant
• Erich Joiner, founder, Tool of North America
• Chuck McBride, founder and executive creative director, Cutwater
• Harry Cocciolo, creative director, Cisco
• Amy Nicholson, director, Supply&Demand
• Blake Kelly, freelance writer
• Sean Whalen, actor